FILE – in this Aug. 3, 2007, file photo magic mushrooms are seen in a grow room at the Procare farm in Hazerswoude, central Netherlands. PETER DEJONG/ASSOCIATED PRESS
- A 30-year-old unnamed man with bipolar disorder injected himself with “magic” mushrooms, which contain the psychedelic drug psilocybin, in a failed attempt at a trip.
- Psychedelic mushrooms are meant to be eaten or drank, not injected.
- The mushrooms grew in the man’s bloodstream and caused his body to go into organ failure. He’s still being treated to this day with antifungals and antibiotics.
A man wrongly experimented with the psychedelic drug “magic” mushrooms when he turned them into tea, which he injected into his veins, causing organ failure.
According to a case report out today in the Journal of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, the 30-year-old man’s family brought him to a Nebraska emergency room after they noticed he seemed confused.
The man had bipolar disorder type 1, the doctors who wrote the case study learned, and he hadn’t been taking his medications so he’d been going through manic and depressive episodes. During recent episodes related to his bipolar disorder, he’d researched how he could decrease his opioid use at home, his family said.
That’s when he read about the potential for psilocybin, the psychedelic drug found in “magic” mushrooms, for treating symptoms of depression and anxiety.
To Read The Rest Of This Article By Julia Naftulin on Insider
Published: January 13, 2021
Founder & Interim Editor of L.A. Cannabis News
Credit: Source link